1.07.2009

Delayed Resolution



Ok, so I know I'm a week late with this New Year's resolution thing, but, like with everything, I have to do things in my own time. I've decided to once again tackle the demon of cigarettes.

I quite smoking in 2002 and stayed smoke-free (nary even a drag) until may of 2007. I know, I know : five years?! How could I ever start smoking again?! Well, it's true what they say about addicts and addictions; it never goes away and you really do have to take it one day at a time.

I have wanted to quit again, basically since I re-started, but knowing how hard the last time was has made me hesitant to begin the process. I'm not sure I'm really ready even now. But, tonight, my friend gave me some pills that help with the blocking of receptors or something. When she gave them to me, she told me how expensive they were and that when I was ready, I should take it seriously (all smokers know the flippant I'm-gonna-quit-but-not-really routine). Something clicked, and I just felt like if not now, when? There will never be a convenient time to quit. And, really I hate the word quit because I really thought I had quit the last time. One day at a time, I will make a choice, and for now, my choice is to put down the fags.

I also figured going public like this will hold me more accountable to actually stopping. Again.

Wish me luck!


5 comments:

  1. If I see you with a Cigarette...I might just flick it out of your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i believe in you marc. i know what you can do.

    yeay marc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did it for two months in 2008 myself...going to Germany was the killer for me...

    I know you can do it. I know that once I'm in the right frame of mind, I can do it too, and I will!

    I won't wish you luck...I will say good going, keep it up, and don't give up! I'll join you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You probably should not share pills with your friends...I know, an ironic admonishment coming from me...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you luck. My Dad smoked for literally over 30 years...and one day, just stopped. Didn't make a big deal, didn't get a patch...just stopped. Been smoke-free since...even when his wife, my Step-Mom still smokes. So, you can do it Marc! I believe in you! YES YOU CAN!!

    ReplyDelete