1.09.2009

It's On!

Today is officially my first smoke-free day. I was actually supposed to keep smoking for a few more days, according to the website, but I wasn't getting any pleasure whatsoever from smoking, so I decided not buy another pack.

This coincides with my decision to jump, full-force, back in to the zone.

Just wanted to give those of you who aren't familiar with the Zone a quick introduction. The Zone diet was created by Dr. Barry Sears. In it's original form, the diet requires one to be a mathematician to create meals :

Of your total calories :
40% from carbohydrates
30% from lean protein
30% from good fats

I was introduced to a book called The Formula : a 40-30-30 Fat-Burning Nutrition Program written by Gene and Joyce Dauost. The Dauosts worked directly with Dr. Sears, using the Zone diet on clients at their fitness center. The book is a simplified version of the Zone, in that they have already done the math, created delicious recipes, and a portion guide (usually more than i can eat!).  There is even a fast food guide in the book for those times when you have to eat on the go.

I can attest, from personal experience, that the diet works. How does it work? For the sake of this explanation, imagine your body has only two hormones : glucagon and insulin. insulin is the fat-storing hormone and glucagon is the fat-burning hormone. When you eat your meals in the 40-30-30 ratio, the chemicals in your body are manipulated to increase glucagon and decrease insulin, meaning your body begins to burn fat for fuel. So, not only will you lose weight, you will also create lean muscle.

Last night, I took a "Before" video, which I will compile with clips taken over the next few months when I post "Results Reveal". In the meanwhile, I will post one recipe a week for the next several weeks on the Three Minute Cooking Show!

Looking forward to sharing my progression with you and knowing you're out there, will help keep me focused and disciplined! Thanks for being here, ya'll.

 

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, you can do it. I can't let myself be around it. It has been a year and 1/2. But I always fight it. I have to remember I feel better without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too can attest that the formula works...
    with this diet and exericise I lost 30 pounds in a month in a half for my wedding...

    Good luck Marc!!! if you ever need support I'm your gal!

    ReplyDelete