1.25.2009

The Wrestler


The Wrestler is a really well-acted, believable movie. It feels so real and genuine and Mickey Rourke's character arc is quite spectacular, yet so simple; the story unfolds naturally through character-driven choices and consequences for those choices. Also of note is Evan Rachel Wood's moving performance as Rourke's estranged-heart-broken-and-hardened daughter. She gives a well-layered, moving performance. I definitely recommend this movie. 

Mickey Rourke certainly deserves the Oscar nomination, though I'm still not sure who has my vote. I've seen all of the movies with the Lead Actor nominees except Frost/Nixon, which I will see soon. It is a really great year for quality Acting Performances, and I'm totally torn, with one exception : I do NOT believe Brad Pitt should have even been nominated. Benjamin Button is a good movie, but his performance is not Oscar Worthy.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment