2.18.2009

First Date


J, Karin and I went to Grove on Sunday to see Confessions of a Shopaholic. Standing in line, we were talking about the fact that the movie wasn't doing that well in the box office; that Friday the 13th was going to trump the weekend, and that He's Just Not That Into You would beat Shopaholic even in it's second weekend. It was about this time that I looked behind us, and I saw Ginnifer Goodwin, also waiting in line. She saw me looking at her and we kept eye contact for about .5 seconds. She whispered to her date, "it's about to happen." I assume she thought I was about to talk to her, but that's not really my style. I just looked away and as soon as I could subtly make eyes at Karin to glance behind us, I did, and having known me so long, she was able to read my mind, and did, letting out a simple, audible, "mhm," with simultaneous head nod. The three of us had been talking earlier in the evening about how much we loved the movie, especially Ginnifer's character. Karin was even inspired to paint her nails purple because she loved the way it looked on Ginnifer when she was holding the pink phone. J heard the conversation, but didn't know who was speaking because there was no subtle way to have him turn around, as he was in the middle of Karin and I, who had easy side views. So, Karin and I stood there, bemused by the irony of it all, purple nails and allWe waited the rest of our time in line, in silence, eavesdropping. Clearly, based on their conversation, they were on a first date. She even asked, "Do mind if I get the movie?" 

Which makes me wonder, if you have to pay for a guy on the first date, is he really that into you?!

2 comments:

  1. ha ha ha...this whole interaction makes me laugh and smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love her so much... but i'm a bit bummed that she would make that comment... because it just shoes how into her own fame and recognizability she is... I mean she and he have already talked about such things that she would say that, that way? mhm.

    ReplyDelete