12.02.2008

Britney's Comeback!


Today, Britney Spears is releasing her new album "Circus," and I for one hope it is hugely successful.  I want Britney to have the biggest comeback of all time.  Love her or hate her, she is a STAR!

Five years ago, when Britney was at her peak, I had brief access to the pop diva.  It was 2003 and I was working as a Script Production Assistant on All That, Season 9.  Jamie Lynne was a cast member on the show.  I spent many hours with Lynne Spears in the green room.

Our first conversation began with me, without knowing who she was, commenting on how wonderful her highlights looked.  We talked for hours and not long after we began, I realized she was Britney's mother.  We talked about the price of fame, and, at the time, she said, "you just can't listen to what people say.  You have your family and your friends, and they know the truth.  Because these magazines don't tell the truth.  But, you hold the truth close to you by holding your family close to you."  Another memorable quote : "I'm the same person I've always been.  I haven't changed.  I'll still give the shirt off my back if you need it," a small beat, "It may be a designer shirt, but I'd still give it to you."

I was with Lynne Spears while watching the live feed from the studio when the now-infamous-Britney-Madonna liplock occurred.  She had little reaction.  She let out a half laugh, while slightly rolling her eyes and shaking her head, as if silently thinking, "oh, Britney."

My interaction with Britney was much more limited.  She was a guest star on one of the episodes.  She did not show up for rehearsal.  She showed up three hours late on the day of the shoot.  She walked by me, sitting on a couch next to her mother, wearing a tank top that revealed a pooching stomach and sweat pants folded down a couple of times to reveal even more of her overly tanned body.  She pointed to her body guard, and introduced him to me. "This is [insert name]; he's with me," she laughed and walked up to her dressing room, where she remained until the taping.  All the while, they have not rehearsed at all.  There was no walk through, no read through, no anything.

Meanwhile, I wrote out her cue cards.  Hours later, she came down, transformed into the image of Britney Spears, and they began taping.  I held her cue cards.  There were many takes.  She is not a great actress, but the live audience didn't care.  They loved her!

When finished, Britney vanished, unaware of the behind-the-scenes tension she had created because the Assistant Director was trying to run a shoot with child actors on strict time schedules.

Even then, I could tell that Britney lived in a bubble.  But, even then, I could also tell that it was not her fault, and she didn't know any other way to be.  Now, she is more isolated then ever, so I hope she can make the most of her bubble, and create a happy healthy life and a great career that we can all enjoy, as we watch this potential legend's life unfold.

4 comments:

  1. My favourite part is ¨how wonderful her highlights looked¨, today, would you think still they looked good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you wrote this! I've watched parts of that MTV documentary and I just watch it, knowing down deep inside, that this is all a performance-- the vacuous kind. She's not 'changed.' She's still the same person who shaved her head, took an umbrella to someone's car... like she said in her interview/docu-drama, "It' all I've ever known, so I don't think my life is weird."

    Danceable tunes, but pathetic life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. certainly not a life that i'd want. people have such a fascination with fame, but to be that famous is a really horrible existence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we all have a mini-britney inside us.. the poor girl just got too much of herself.. but she's got my vote..

    ReplyDelete