12.11.2008

Me and the Mobile Man




I stayed up way too late last night/this morning watching the fifth season of the L word. At a little past five this morning, I remembered that I had to turn one of my freelance jobs into the office before eleven o'clock. I decided, since the office is so close to my place, that I would just drop it off before I went to sleep so I wouldn't have to get up early.

I left the apartment in my pajamas with my car keys and a cigarette.  I was about to smoke my last cigarette of the day when I realized I didn't have a lighter. Ok. I'll just pull into this Mobile gas station, get a book of matches, and then I'll smoke my cigarette.

I walked up to the window (because the doors to the station are locked in the wee hours of the morning) :

ME 
Can I please get a book of matches?

MOBILE MAN
We don't have any matches.

ME 
You don't have any matches?

MOBILE MAN 
No. We only sell lighters.

ME
I don't have my wallet with me.  I just need to light my cigarette.  Can you just put the lighter through the window, I'll light my cigarette, and give it back to you?

MOBILE MAN
No. It's a $1.50 for the lighter.

ME
But, I don't have my wallet.  I just want to light my cigarette. Please.

MOBILE MAN
It's a $1.50 or no lighter.

ME
You know, I just want to ask you : one human being to another why you can't help me out right now.  I just want to smoke my last cigarette before I go to sleep, and I don't understand why you aren't able to help me, as a fellow human being.  And, it's really not a big deal : I'll get to smoke my cigarette; I'll just stop by another gas station and they'll give me a book of matches. I just wish you could look me in the eye and explain it to me because I don't understand.

. . . 

His demeanor shifted.  He didn't say a word.  He just placed a book of matches in the tray and slid them through the window. I said, "thank you. very much," and I meant it.  It was one of the most satisfying and liberating moments of my life. Seriously, it felt amazing.

1 comment:

  1. I like this story. It's the story I'm going to go to bed on... humans being humane to one another. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete